Men’s facial masks. How to use them to their full potential.
Women are not the only ones susceptible to skin problems. Men need some help in that department as well, even if some are too stubborn to admit it. For that reason, a men’s facial mask can greatly improve one’s skin health and appearance with only one or two uses per week. Unfortunately, this is something many men needlessly shy away from and deprive themselves of. After all, applying a face mask after shaving can do wonders for irritation as well as the reduction of ingrown hairs.
Among all the other benefits, men’s face mask treatments can prevent or reduce facial fine lines and wrinkles, as well as reduce the overall shine of the skin. The effects are obvious, and as little as a few uses are needed for the reduction of visible oil and reduction of inflammation.
Masks come in all different applications and types, so choosing the right kind is just as important as using one. Furthermore, one size does not fit all and some prior knowledge on the matter of skin care would be rather beneficial. On that note, a good starting point is determining which skin type you possess and using that information to make the right selection.
What is your skin type?
First of all, you need to be aware that there are many different factors to skin care, from current weather conditions like dry heat or rain to the kind of soap you use and how often. You can’t afford to carelessly dry out or over-hydrate your face since nothing in abundance can be any good for your skin. You can consider that as a rule of thumb where skin care is concerned. A good first step would also be to determine which skin group your facial skin belongs to.
- Normal – This type of skin has good circulation, few imperfections, and no especially sensitive spots. The skin is usually soft and has a smooth, even skin tone.
- Oily – As the name implies, this type occurs when the glands produce more oil than necessary, caused by one or more sources such as diet, hormones, hereditary factors, stress, etc. Besides that, men’s personal care products like shaving creams or gels, scrubs, moisturizers and pretty much anything else men might put on their face on a regular basis can be also the cause, if they happen to be unsuitable for the skin. Look into our oily skin guides, such fighting oily skin woes and how to deal with oily skin.
- Dry –Opposite to oily skin, when the sebaceous glands can’t maintain sufficient production of oils, the skin can often get flaky and feels tightened. This can be exacerbated by dehydration. Be sure to check out 5 tips for dry skin, tips for getting rid of dry skin, and from dry to supple in 4 easy steps.
- Combination – When the nose and the forehead have a higher production level of oils than the cheeks and mouth area, that is called a combination skin type.
- Sensitive – This skin type can be different for many people since it can be caused by many different skin conditions, among which allergies are included as well. Since symptoms of this type are inflammation and irritation, special care is recommended. Learn about shaving with sensitive skin and mustache styles as well.
There are several methods to discern one’s skin type. The easiest way is to thoroughly wash and clean the face, after which you wait for 30 minutes and pass a tissue over it. Depending on the oil that the tissue displays, it is fairly uncomplicated to find out the skin type. If, however, this is not obvious to someone, then a visit to the dermatologist can prove much more beneficial. Tip: try showering or washing your face with lukewarm water. Hot water dries your skin out.
Ok, now what?
Once you know your skin type, then it becomes much easier to select the right men’s facial mask. Why stop there? Once you have your skin type, choose the appropriate cleansers, moisturizers, and scrubs.If you want to achieve the ultimate shave, make sure you use shaving cream and a shaving brush.
There are many different men’s face mask treatments out there. The most common are traditional facial masks like The Gentlemen’s Facial Mask (ones you leave on to dry and then wash off). These days, peel off masks are very popular, note that while these masks can be easier to use, they don’t penetrate into the pores as effectively. Lastly, there is the sheet mask, which is simply draped over your face and removed after a short time.
The basics of using a facial mask.
Smothering your face with products is not enough, so here are some tips to get you started on using a traditional men’s facial mask, like The Gentlemen’s Facial Mask.
- While using only lukewarm water and clean hands, thoroughly wash your face in order to remove excess oil and dirt, as well as open up your pores. This step is important because otherwise, the mask might not have sufficient direct skin contact to do its magic.
- Dry your face! Added moisture can reduce the effectiveness of the mask’s skin treatment, so making certain that the foundation is dry is essential. This can be done by dabbing a clean towel over the face, don’t irritate your skin by vigorously rubbing your skin with a towel.
- Read and adhere to the instructions written on the face mask’s packaging, and be especially careful if there is a maximum suggested duration since some of these treatments can have adverse effects like drying out or burning your skin if left on for too long.
- Wait for the allocated time to pass and wash it off with clean hands and lukewarm water.
- Apply moisturizer after thoroughly removing (washing) any evidence of the mask treatment.
What’s the point of skin types?
Even though the basic blueprint for skincare is the same, different skin types demand different treatments. Now, the actual difference comes in the quantity and frequency of the treatments. Because no two people are the same, neither will their skin be necessarily the perfect sample of a skin type. That’s why some experimentation and variation might be required before an individual comes to their perfect solution.
- Normal – Nothing more than the basic men’s facial mask, applied once or twice per week. Make sure to cleanse and moisturize daily as well. Exfoliate at least twice per week.
- Oily – Twice weekly men’s face mask application, as well as twice daily face wash, would produce optimal results. Face moisturizer is not mandator but would show improvement if used in smaller quantities after cleansing. Exfoliate two to three times per week. Learn how to deal with oily skin as well as check out the best facial cleanser for men on the market.
- Dry – One to two men’s face mask treatments per week as well as early morning and bedtime face washes, followed with a generous helping of facial moisturizer. For dry skin, it is especially important to use moisturizer after a good face cleaning. The amount used should be enough to make the skin soft, but not enough for it to feel wet. Carefully massage the lotion in, after which avoid touching the face so that the pores are as dirt free as possible. People with dry skin should also exfoliate more often, as dry skin tends to flake and clog pores.
- Combination – With this skin type, use your judgment and apply a facial mask treatment to your oilier areas. Moisturize and cleanse daily, and make sure to exfoliate your drier areas a few times per week.
- Sensitive – The sensitive skin type is the riskiest one to prescribe without knowing all the facts. Any person with sensitive skin should start with one to two skin mask treatments per week and increase or decrease the frequency depending on results. The same goes for face wash and moisturizers. The best thing you can do here is to find out what you are allergic to. People can be allergic to things like nut/seed oils, so even the most natural and organic products can cause irritation for people with sensitive skin. Try out a sample pack if you have sensitive skin, and figure out which products cause you the least irritation.
As mentioned before, these are only guidelines for the best weekly face mask experience, and most people should customize their experience based on their own situation. That is why the best method for determining specific skin treatment is a simple trial and error approach.
It is also important to note that a thorough reading of the ingredients is necessary in case of allergens. We obviously recommend choosing something with activated charcoal, which is a natural and effective way of detoxing your skin.
As a final thought, don’t forget to have fun while experimenting your way to a more handsome, confident you.